15 minute salted chocolate chunk cookies (GF & VEGAN)
100g coconut sugar
100g vegan chocolate (chopped into 1cm chunks)
100g gf flour (scroll to FAQs for subs)
50g gf oats
1/2 tsp baking powder or baking soda
1/4 tsp sea salt
2 tbsp melted coconut oil
4 tbsp high-quality olive oil
40 ml water (preferably filtered)
How to make:
1. Pre-heat oven to 170c or 340f
2. Prepare a baking tray with something non-stick like coconut oil or baking paper (I love using silicone baking mats as a sustainable and cost-effective option)
3. Mix all dry ingredients in a large bowl
4. Add the wet ingredients and mix well until a fairly wet batter forms
5. Roll a tablespoon amount of the dough in your hands, place on the tray and lightly press flat
6. Continue steps #5 until the dough is used up, leaving 2cm between each cookie
7. Bake for 10 minutes
8. Remove from the oven and top with sea salt flakes
9. Leave to set for about 5 minutes
FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS
What’s the difference between refined and unrefined sugar?
Whilst sugar is still sugar, unrefined sugars maintain some nutrients and are processed slightly differently in the body.
Unrefined sugars take longer to be digested, whereas refined sugars are broken down immediately, causing a spike in insulin and blood sugar. This peak puts a lot of strain on our pancreas and liver functions, as they have to work extra hard to bring us back into balance.
Can I sub flour with almond flour?
Yes, almond flour should work fine in this recipe. Buckwheat or rice flour should also work well.
And of course if you're not gluten free you can use any regular flour in its place.
Can I sub coconut sugar with another sweetener?
You can sub coconut sugar like for like with any other grained sweetner such as stevia, brown sugar, cane sugar etc.
If you're wanting to sub with a liquid sweetner like maple, agave or date syrup, add 4 tablespoons to replace the 100g of coconut sugar and omit the water.
Can I freeze them?
Yes definitely! Freeze for up to a month. Just take them out of the freezer half an hour before serving. Or reheat in the oven for a chewy gooey treat!
Where do you buy your ingredients?
Coconut sugar - Groovy Company
GF oats - Nairns
GF flour blend - Dove’s farm
Coconut oil - Vita Coco
Organic olive oil - Carapelli USA
GF baking powder - Dove's farm
Sea salt - Cornish Sea Salt
Happy wholefood baking everyone!